ALDWYCH THEATRE
49 Aldwych,
London, WC2B 4DF

Aldwych theatre

The Aldwych Theatre opened on 23 December 1905. It was designed by W.G.R. Sprague and built as a pair with the Waldorf Theatre (now called the Novello Theatre). They were funded by Seymour Hicks in association with the American impresario Charles Frohman. The theatre was built as part of the Aldwych reconstruction when four theatres (Olympic, Opera Comique, Globe and Gaiety) were demolished and London's Aldwych (named after Old Wych Street) was constructed.

At the end of 1960 it was announced that the Royal Shakespeare Company from Stratford-upon-Avon was to base its London productions at the Aldwych Theatre for the next three years, but they stayed for over 20 years finally moving to the Barbican Arts Centre in 1982.

Since the year 2000 the Aldwych has hosted a mixture of plays, comedies and musical theatre productions including Andrew Lloyd Webber's Whistle Down the Wind and Fame enjoyed an extended run from 2002 to 2006. Since September 2006 it has been the home to the British stage version of Dirty Dancing.

HOW TO GET TO THE ALDWYCH THEATRE

Click on map to enlarge image

underground
Tube : Covent Garden (Piccadilly line)/Temple (Circle & District line)
Train: Charing Cross
buses to Her Majesty's Theatre
1, 4, 11, 13, 15, 68, 98
nearest car park

NCP Drury Lane, Parker Street. Meters around theatre. Parking in central London can be difficult and excpensive so - use public transport whenever possible.


DISABLED ACCESS TO THE ALDWYCH

Infrared system in the auditorium with 5 headsets and 5 neckloops. Induction loop at left window of the box office.
One guide dog per performance allowed in Box D
2 spaces for wheelchair users plus one companion in Box D. The doorway is too narrow for motorised wheelchairs. Alternative space for a wheelchair user beside C1 in the Dress Circle on a slight slope. Transfer seat at C1.
Adapted toilets off main foyer at Dress Circle level.